[dsc] dsc wishlist for building a Debian package

Duane Wessels wessels at measurement-factory.com
Mon Oct 18 23:05:22 UTC 2010

On Mon, 4 Oct 2010, Marc Haber wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am currently trying to package up dsc for Debian as package
> dsc-statistics (see also http://bugs.debian.org/505405). In the course
> of preparing the package, I have discovered several issues, which may
> be worth fixing in dsc itself.

Hi Marc,

thanks for the report on DSC's un-debianness.

I'm happy to take a look at your patches and suggestions.  However,
I think it is unlikely much of it would be committed to the main
repository at this time.  For two reasons:  (1) DSC is currently
in a bugfix-only mode by TMF, and (2) The Measurement Factory is
in the process of transferring ownership of the code to DNS-OARC.
We expect DNS-OARC to begin making some significant improvements
after it takes ownership.  Better packaging will be a part of that.

(A number of us met last week to discuss DSC's future
and the need for Debian-blessed packaging came up as a topic)

On the plus side, you can expect very few changes to DSC
in the short term. So I think your hard work of packaging
for DSC will be good for a while -- you won't have to
do it all over again.

DW