[dsc] Question about upgrading ancient version of DSC to most current

Duane Wessels wessels at measurement-factory.com
Tue Mar 22 16:37:58 UTC 2011

On Thu, 17 Mar 2011, Stephen Johnson wrote:

> Greeting. I've been running DSC since 2007. It's been a very handy tool
> over the years. Especially recently when for a DoS episode we had.
>
> I have an old pre-dsc-200801301758 version of DSC installed and running.
> I'm about to make some major additions to my DNS infrastructure. So I'm
> wanting to get DSC upgraded first and out of the way first.
>
> My question(s) is what order should I do the updates in. Should I do the
> Collectors first and then the Presenter? Vice-Versa?  Do them all at
> once? Or doesn't matter?

Hi Stephen,

I suggest that you upgrade the presenter first.  The new presenter code
knows how to read the old file formats.  For example here is a snippet
from dsc-xml-extractor.pl:

         # this is the old way -- one dataset per file
         #
         if ($dataset ne 'dscdata') {
                 return extract_dataset($XML, $dataset);
         }

         # this is the new way of grouping all datasets
         # together into a single file
         #
         while (my ($k,$v) = each %{$XML->{array}}) {
                 extract_dataset($v, $k) or die "dataset $k extraction failed";
         }

If you've read the CHANGES file, and the 2008-01-09 entry in particular,
then you know that you should run the update-dat-file-locations.sh script
so that the presenter can find your historical data.

Once you have the presenter upgraded go ahead and upgrade the collector
software.

Duane W.