[dsc] dsc fails to run

Duane Wessels wessels at measurement-factory.com
Fri May 28 23:00:00 UTC 2010

On Fri, 28 May 2010, Alexandre Chapellon wrote:

> Hello
>
> I had dsc up and running for months on 4 of my bind servers.
> We recently had to upgrade one of them and switched it to a Debian Lenny
> amd64 OS.
> I re-intsalled dsc collector on the new machine, compiling and
> installing ran without complainning but dsc fails to launch with:
>
> sudo /usr/local/dsc/bin/dsc -f -d /usr/local/dsc/etc/dsc.conf
> complete failure
> Pree.cc:70: assertion failed: 'i != rawEnd()'
> Abandon
>
> Is it something anyone know about?
> How could I troubleshoot?

Hi Alexandre,

I have not seen this particular error before, but I can tell you
that it is having trouble with parsing the configuration file.  So
first check the dsc.conf file for any changes or problems.

Since you mentioned that you re-installed DSC I have a theory that
maybe it didn't get entirely recompiled.   Before you recompile DSC
make sure that the collector/TmfBase/Hapy/src directory is clean.

If you still have the problem after that, see if running in debug
mode helps give any hints.  For example, you can run (doesn't have
to be as root):

    $ ./dsc -d /path/to/dsc.conf

and you should get some output like this:

    adding local address 192.168.0.1
    setting current directory to /usr/local/dsc/run/foo
    PID file is: /var/run/dsc.pid
    BPF program is: port 53
    Opening interface fxp0
    pcap_open_*: (no devices found) /dev/bpf0: Permission denied