[dsc] DNS IP version indexer

Alexander Gall gall at switch.ch
Thu Dec 6 16:21:01 UTC 2007

I've written an indexer for the IP version of DNS messages.  There
already is an IP indexer called ip_version, so I named this one
dns_ip_version.  I have also created a dataset called
dns_ip_version_vs_qtype, because it could be interesting to see
whether the query type distribution is different for the two address
families.  This is the dataset definition I use on the collector:

dataset dns_ip_version_vs_qtype dns IPVersion:dns_ip_version Qtype:qtype queries-only;

On the presenter, there is one time-sequence graph for the IP version
just like "DNS Transport".  The sub-graph "IP Version/Query Types" is
not really useful as it is, because the amount of queries over IPv6 is
so small.  There might be a better way to present this data,
e.g. scale it relative to the number of queries per address family
(not the total amount of queries), but I don't think this is possible
in a single graph.

--
Alex